Mill Record East Haddam

RETURN TO ‘FIND MILLS’
Complex Name (Common)
Brownell and Co.
Complex Name (Historic)
  • Brownell and Co.
Address or Location
423 East Haddam Moodus Road, East Haddam
County
Middlesex
Historic Designation
Associated Mill Community
n/a
Historic Information

Companies Associated w/Complex

  • Brownell and Co. 1844-

Use (Historic)

Largest Documented Workforce

n/a

Historic Narrative

Edward Brownell moved from Seekonk, MA to Moodus in 1825 and began using the power of Moodus River for a variety of industrial purposes, including fulling, hose knitting and grist milling. In 1844 he built the extant frame mill for cotton-twine production. The basement held carding and drawing machines and a run of stone to grind grains for the Brownells and their millhands. In the 1870s Edward Brownell's son Charles installed the turbine which remains in the wheelpit. Charles Brownell also built the attached 2-story brick picker house, at the request of his insurance company. The success of Charles' son Crary Brownell in converting to production of synthetic twine (used mostly for fishnets) in the 1930s allowed the mill to stay open, while the rest of the dozen twine mills on the Moodus River closed [and burned down]. (Roth) Also see: Sievers, Bruce R., The History of the Cotton Industry in Moodus, Connecticut (Moodus Printing and Graphics, 1985)

Architectural Information

Number of Existing Buildings

Three (3) blocks.

Dates of Construction

1844, c.1870s, c.1940

Architect

n/a

Builder

n/a

Building Type

Architectural Description

The 80' x 35' wood mill, 2 1/2-story with basement, has a gable roof and central stair tower. The attached 2-story brick picker house (about 40' x 30') dates to c.1870s. (Roth)

Exterior Material(s)

Structural System(s)

n/a

Roof Form

Roof Material

n/a

Power Source

Condition

n/a

Condition Notes

n/a

Property Information

Specific Location

One 15.3 acre parcel on the north side of East Haddam Moodus Road just west of intersection with Plains Road

Adjacent To

n/a

Exterior Visible from Public Road?

Yes

Parcel ID / Assessor Record Link

Acreage

15.3

Use (Present)

Sources

Form Completed By

n/a

Date

n/a

Bibliography

  1. Roth, Matthew, et al, Connecticut: An Inventory of Historic Engineering and Industrial Sites (Washington DC: SIA, 1981).
  2. State Register Nomination on file at SHPO, Hartford CT.
Representative View(s)Click on image to view full file


Photographer

n/a

Photography Date

n/a