Mill Record Burlington

RETURN TO ‘FIND MILLS’
Complex Name (Common)
Hitchcock-Schwarzmann Mill DEMO’D
Complex Name (Historic)
  • Hitchcock-Schwarzmann Mill
Address or Location
NEC Foote and Vineyard Rds., Burlington
County
Hartford
Historic Designation
Associated Mill Community
n/a
Historic Information

Companies Associated w/Complex

  • Hitchcock-Schwarzmann Mill c. 1780-20th century

Use (Historic)

Largest Documented Workforce

n/a

Historic Narrative

For historical significance see National Register application: http://pdfhost.focus.nps.gov/docs/NRHP/Text/77001409.pdf This water privilege on Burlington Brook was an active mill site from c.1781 to 1972. Grist milling was the original use, but saw, shingle, and cider milling were later added. Operating equipment for all these functions remains. There are also elements of power generation and transmission systems from several periods. Inside the mill the operating equipment reflects the tenure of the Schwarzmanns, father George and son William, who ran the mill from the late 19th century to 1972. The Schwarzmanns added new machinery as well as reusing pre-existing equipment. They installed the vertical turbine c.1900. Besides round, steel line shafting there remain sections of square-section, wrought iron shafts, and hexagonal wooden shafts. There are pulleys of cast iron and wood, and flat belts of leather, cloth and laminated rubber. Three runs of stone were used for grain milling, one each for corn, wheat and buck-wheat. All were made c.1870 by the Edward Harrison Grinding Wheel Co. of New Haven. They have cast-iron hoppers and cases with 30'-diameter stones. Two winnowers and a screening cylinder also remain. The stones and auxiliary equipment were once integrated into a continuous system linked by Oliver Evans-type bucket elevators. Since grinding ceased the configuration of transmission and milling equipment has been disturbed. Several of the machines stand in no apparent relation to the power system and some of the elevators lead to empty space. Enough survives, however, so that the system could be mostly reconstructed. Sawmill equipment is preserved in place. The circular saw was installed in the 1880s or 1890s. Shingle saw, shingle dressing wheel, and the cider press remain in operating position. The two newest wings on the mill, built c.1905, contain three wooden cider casks, the largest one having 5,000-gallon capacity. Outside the mill is a c.1900 Fairbanks wagon scale. The building is deteriorated but the Burlington Historical Society is working to stabilize the structure while planning its eventual restoration. Some of the equipment will be put in operating order and the mill will become a museum. (Roth)

Architectural Information

Number of Existing Buildings

none

Dates of Construction

1781, later

Architect

n/a

Builder

n/a

Building Type

Architectural Description

For description see National Register application: http://pdfhost.focus.nps.gov/docs/NRHP/Text/77001409.pdf The present structure [in 1977] consists of five frame sections built at different times. The 2 1/2-story, gable-roofed east section is possibly the original mill but more likely represents an early rebuilding; it has wings to the south and west. The two newest wings on the mill [were] built c.1905. The rubble dam and rubble-lined headrace likely were built in the mid-19th century. The concrete bulkhead for the headgate is a 20th-century installation. (Roth)

Exterior Material(s)

Structural System(s)

Roof Form

Roof Material

n/a

Power Source

Condition

n/a

Condition Notes

Mill buildings have been demolished at some time after 1977.

Property Information

Specific Location

Northeast corner of Foote Road and Vineyard Road. Mill is gone but some foundation stones remain.

Adjacent To

Exterior Visible from Public Road?

Yes

Parcel ID / Assessor Record Link

Acreage

1

Use (Present)

n/a

Sources

Form Completed By

C. Hitchcock

Date

n/a

Bibliography

  1. Roth, Matthew, et al, Connecticut: An Inventory of Historic Engineering and Industrial Sites (Washington DC: SIA, 1981).
  2. Brown, T. Robbins. 1977. Hitchcock-Schwarzmann Mill National Register Nomination No. 77001409, National Park Service.
Representative View(s)Click on image to view full file


Photographer

n/a

Photography Date

n/a