J. A. Smith and Co. built the factory in 1875 and manufactured crochet needles, button hooks, wire and metal novelties, and employed about 30 men. In 1885, Smith sold to Potter and Snell, which continued to make the same products and operated through 1925, employing about 50 people. Messerschmidt Co. occupied the building for a few years thereafter, and in 1937, Arthur Smith moved his lace business to the site (Arthur Smith Co. Inc., Deep River Lace Factory). Lace was made on British Leaver lace machines until 1990; each machine weighed 16 tons, was about 9 ft tall, and had 4,600 bobbins.
Three (3) blocks.
1875, c.1885, c.1910
The original 1875 structure is three-story wood frame, with brick ground level and gable roof. The brick boiler house to the east was built c.1885, and the one-story brick machine shop and connecting block to the west were built c.1910; both have shallow gable roofs.
presently used for catering and warehouse