Mill Record Norwich

RETURN TO ‘FIND MILLS’
Complex Name (Common)
Yantic Woolen Co.
Complex Name (Historic)
  • Yantic Woolen Co.
Address or Location
140  Yantic Road, Norwich
County
New London
Historic Designation
Associated Mill Community
Historic Information

Companies Associated w/Complex

  • Hale Co.
  • Hamilton Woolen Mills
  • Williams Flannel Mills c.1837-c.1900

Use (Historic)

Largest Documented Workforce

n/a

Historic Narrative

For historical significance see National Register application: http://pdfhost.focus.nps.gov/docs/NRHP/Text/96000780.pdf Textile manufacture began here in 1818 with John and George Tisdale, who built frame mills to make cottons. Erastus Williams bought the mills in 1837 and installed machinery to produce woolens. After a fire in 1865 Williams built the present complex. His son E. Winslow Williams ran the operation for the rest of the century, making flannels and ladies dress goods. At peak operation, in the late 1880s, Williams employed 150 people and ran 10 sets of cards. A synthetic textile producer now occupies the mills. (Roth)

Architectural Information

Number of Existing Buildings

n/a

Dates of Construction

c.1865, 1877, c.1910

Architect

n/a

Builder

n/a

Building Type

Architectural Description

For description see National Register application: http://pdfhost.focus.nps.gov/docs/NRHP/Text/96000780.pdf and https://npgallery.nps.gov/pdfhost/docs/NRHP/Photos/96000780.pdf The buildings all have coursed granite walls and cut-stone sills and lintels. The main mill, 4 1/2-story and about 135' x 40', has a gable roof and a central stair tower with mansard roof. A 2-story wing, about 100' x 40' with near-flat roof, extends to the north. Three smaller contiguous wings, each about 40' x 40', also extend to the north: 3-story, which housed part of the spinning operations; 2-story, which housed carding; and 1-story, which housed picking. Beyond the wings stands a detached 3 1/2-story gable-roofed mill. A c.1910 brick boiler house is the only 20th-century structure in the complex. Several frame workers' dwellings lie south of the mills, but recent highway construction caused demolition of most of the small village. (Roth)

Exterior Material(s)

Structural System(s)

n/a

Roof Form

Roof Material

n/a

Power Source

n/a

Condition

n/a

Condition Notes

n/a

Property Information

Specific Location

on corner of Yantic and Chapel Hill

Adjacent To

Exterior Visible from Public Road?

Yes

Parcel ID / Assessor Record Link

Acreage

7

Use (Present)

  • Vacant
  • Other: Initial rehab work for hospitality dating to c.2004. Sold 6/2018 for $826,000 to Michael Jasse, Mill Development LLC; as of 6/2018 Jasse is investigating redevelopment possibilities incl'g hotel.
Sources

Form Completed By

n/a

Date

n/a

Bibliography

  1. Roth, Matthew, et al, Connecticut: An Inventory of Historic Engineering and Industrial Sites (Washington DC: SIA, 1981).
Representative View(s)Click on image to view full file



Photographer

n/a

Photography Date

n/a